The Academic Engagement Network (AEN) – an independent, non-partisan national organization serving college and university faculty, staff, and administrators – is hiring for the position of Membership Associate.
The Membership Associate will be an integral member of the AEN national office staff, working closely with the Senior Associate for Membership and the AEN leadership team. Core responsibilities associated with the position include:
- Engaging with members, including serving as a thought partner for, and facilitator of, the work and activities of members within the network
- Driving increased involvement of members with students, colleagues, administrators and other stakeholders on their campuses and in their professional associations
- Recruiting new members to AEN’s growing network, with an eye toward geographic, disciplinary, and demographic diversity
A typical day as Membership Associate might include:
- Fielding a membership inquiry or question from a current member
- Liaising with a member to help them plan an educational event on their campus
- Inputting membership information into databases and internal systems
- Creating a flyer for an AEN event
- Helping to plan and organize a virtual or in-person event for members
- Informing members about developments on their campus and in their disciplines
Qualifications, Prior Experience, and Requirements:
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a demonstrated commitment to AEN’s mission. Applicants should have a B.A. or B.S. degree, as well as a record of working on U.S. campus issues and topics relevant to AEN’s work. A general knowledge of, and interest in, the issues of concern to AEN, including campus antisemitism and anti-Israel activism, is expected. Applicants should be familiar with U.S. campus politics and debates about Israel, Jewish identity, and the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement. Customer-service experience, as well as familiarity with CRM software, is also strongly preferred.
The position is configured as a full-time position. Washington, DC-area residence, or a willingness to relocate to the area, is preferred but not required. The Membership Associate is expected to participate during in-person monthly staff meetings and to meet regularly with supervisors. There is an expectation of occasional supported travel to AEN campus convenings and conferences throughout the continental U.S.
AEN offers a competitive salary and benefits package for all full-time employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Academic Engagement Network (AEN) is a national organization that engages, educated, and empowers faculty members on American university and college campuses around issues related to Israel, antisemitism, academic freedom, and campus free speech. Launched in 2015, AEN now comprises over 800 faculty members on more than 250 institutions of higher education across the United States. AEN is led by a full-time professional staff with a national office in Washington, DC. Professor Miriam F. Elman (Syracuse University) serves as Executive Director. Mark G. Yudof, former president of the University of California, chairs AEN’s National Advisory Board whose members include distinguished university leaders and academics. More information about AEN can be found at www.academicengagement.org.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter detailing interest in, and suitability for, the position; resume; writing sample (5 pages or less); and the names and contact information for three references to Joshua Suchoff, AEN Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.